Field notes

What do archaeologists do in the winter, aka what about the snow and frozen ground?

In an ideal world, archaeologists would be digging up fabulous things year-round, following the sunshine and warm weather. Ahhhh… sadly, that just isn’t the case, especially if you live and work in Canada. In general, our winters are spent cataloguing artifacts recovered over the field season, and writing reports about all the projects completed over … Read More What do archaeologists do in the winter, aka what about the snow and frozen ground?

Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Share via Email

The business side of things

What’s in a name?

If you’ve ever wondered how Circle got its name, then get some crackers because you’re about to get some cheese. In one of my previous lives, I was an avid snowboarder. In reverse order, before becoming an archaeologist, I was a sales rep for snowboard bags and accessories, worked in a snowboard shop, and worked … Read More What’s in a name?

Field notes, Hope to make you think

What does a microblade look like?

Amanda #therook and what we initially thought was a #microblade #archaeology

Microblades are a unique technology focused on producing thin, narrow blade-like flakes from distinctly prepared cores. The production sequence that produces these tiny blades will have some specific typological characteristics that are easy to identify. Look for: long, straight, thin flakes (1/3 width over length); parallel, lateral margins; a strong arris (sometimes two); and little … Read More What does a microblade look like?